Saturday, January 26, 2008

An IOU for Valery Lantratov's Travel Tales

We woke up this morning in Charlottesville, VA, had an afternoon class in Blacksburg and went to bed in Chapel Hill, NC.

It is easier to maintain this kind of pace when you don’t spend extra time trying to document it as you go, but I’ll do my best to recount our time at the Association of Performing Arts Presenters Conference, our classes in Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia and everything that has happened retroactively. As time permits you will see new entries appear for past dates.

We were marveling today that Valery has been in the U.S. for only two weeks and yet we have done so much. When you are on the road, as we are, you measure time in terms of events. This is probably not unique to traveling. But the perception of time is different.

When you are stationary, and living fairly consistent days, the time in front of you seems to go slowly. “It’s only 4PM?” The time behind you seems to have whizzed right by.

When you’re traveling to new cities each day, and having so many new experiences, the time in front seems to come at you with lightning speed while the time behind is stretched out so that two weeks seems two months long. Could the Arts Presenters Conference in New York really have been only a week and a half ago? Indeed it was.

So the good news is that I may not have as much to recap as I think I have. The bad news is that I may not get to it right away.

In the meantime, I’ll just give an overall recap of a Valery Lantratov master class and get into the details later. (Or earlier, as it will appear here)

Having watched so many of Valery’s classes, I feel as though I would be safe walking on a tightrope. I’ve assimilated a great deal of information on how to keep my axis. I should be able to keep balanced anywhere.

Chin up.
Stomach in.
Keep your square.
Shoulders back.
Keep your elbows.

There. You’ve just had a mini class for free.

By the way, if you had a class with Valery and enjoyed it– might we suggest a souvenir?

Remember there are only 333 shopping days until Christmas.

Follow the menu on the right for information on how you can own your very own “Keep Your Axis” t-shirt or a copy of our book, A Child’s Introduction to Ballet.

This is really our book. Valery Lantratov helped with the musical selections and technical advice and I (Laura Lee) wrote it. We’re quite pleased with it and hope you like it too.

The sale of t-shirts and our children's book helps us to keep the costs of our master classes down so more students can enjoy them.